Subject: USB NFC Reader with embedded Secure Element (eSE)
Created a USB NFC Reader from the ground up. The customer wanted a USB reader with an attached secure element for key management and cryptographic processing.
Our Task Was
Complete design and development, from the concept stage to completed functional prototypes.
- PIC 18F13K50
- Designed the system architecture
- Included a JCOP secure element, something not common at the time
- Selected the best available parts for the project requirements
- Mobile NFC controller, secure element and MCU
Design and Layout
- complete electrical design using Eagle
- 4 layer PCB layout
- 0.5mm BGA – very uncommon at the time
- Identified a PCB manufacturer able to support cost and quality constraints
- 4 mil traces, 6 mil through hole via in pad for BGA
- No blind or buried vias required
- Created and placed all part orders
- Identified a CM to perform assembly
- Oversaw quality of output
- Developed and implemented all firmware
- USB PCSC with custom commands
- Implemented reader modes for ISO-14443 Type A and B
- MiFare support
Customer received a fully functioning USB reader to use as a final product.
- Extremely small form factor
- Cutting edge technologies (PN544)
- JCOP secure element (SmartMX)
Ingenutec provided complete design services to take this product from concept to a fully functional prototype.